Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I'd like a relationship please. Not just a boyfriend so I can throw that word into my vocabulary or someone to possess, but a real honest to goodness someone I can share life with. It's been a long time since I've called anyone that.

I think I'm ready. At least I'm pretty sure I am. My last "boyfriend" and I ended things a year ago now. And I use quotations because we never referred to each other as such. But is that really necessary? My boyfriend this, my boyfriend that... He has a name, right? A relationship isn't a status, nor do we own anyone. I only speak from experience. So yes. A year. It takes time to recover from things. I'll never understand people who go from relationship to relationship without taking time off in between to know yourself outside that of sharing your life with someone. Although, I did commit that very act a few short years ago. I'm not exempt from making mistakes, after all, it's the scars that teach us. It didn't end well. Relationships shouldn't save or redeem anyone. Redemption and salvation should be found before coming together with someone else. Again, another hard lesson learned. I'm thankful that time has happened.

So here I am: being me, honoring me and opening myself up to the good things that are to come my way.

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find it in my work environment. I'm open to it, but if I'm serving you as you binge drink, we won't be becoming an item anytime soon. Winks, poems, marriage proposals... it ain't gonna happen. So in my attempt to be proactive in this endeavor, I've joined Match.com. I did OKCupid which is free, but free is slim pickens. Sliiiiim pickens I tell you... or booty calls, which is NOT what I want at all. It's been about two weeks now and already I'm chatting with a couple of people. It used to be I would meet someone, "smitten" would happen and boom! In a relationship. Again, I'm currently single, proving that hasn't worked out so well for me. So the Internet it is! I've been on a few dates, or interviews as my friend Eric calls them. Smitten hasn't happened, but second dates are on their way, so I'll get back to you on that one.


1 comment:

Dawnette Thomas said...

Proud of you. Continue to know you, share the real you, and the right "boy" will come along. Don't lower your standards, you deserve the best.